Life With Anxiety

Anxiety is one of those things that everyone will experience at some point during their lifetime. These
feelings are natural. They’re what show you and the people around you that you care about what you’re
doing, or what you’re about to do. But what happens when those feelings of nervousness or anxiety
start to take control? When they start to prevent you from doing the things that you love? Should you
ignore it, and see if they’ll just go away on their own accord? Or would you do something about it?

https://giphy.com/gifs/jack-tripper-G4Ihli2UThrBS

I, myself, suffer from anxiety, and have done for the past 4 years or so. This past October I finally took
the step of going on a low dose of medication to help with it, and have also gone to counselling in the
past. As many other people find, my anxiety is luckily not constant, but a disorder that comes and goes.
Most of the time I’m absolutely fine, but suddenly, sometimes, it seems, as if out of nowhere, I will
have an anxiety attack that’ll feel like I’ve just been hit by a freight train of emotions.


Now these attacks can come in all different shapes or forms:
- They can sometimes feel like little butterflies in my stomach, which I used to associate with pre-
competition nerves.
- They can sometimes feel like someone is pressing down on my chest, making it difficult to breath.
- They could simply be anxious thoughts about everything that’s going wrong in my life at that point in
time, or everything that could go wrong, that take a hold of my brain leading it to go into a frenzy.
- And the last form of attack, and for me the most severe one, is that they can cause me to
hyperventilate and then go into a full blown panic attack, which will likely end in me being sick.
(Fortunately, I do not experience this one that much anymore because of the medication, but I do still
feel the build up to the explosion.)

https://tenor.com/search/panicking-gifs


These various scenarios will differ from day to day, and time to time. One attack where I’m
hyperventilating may last a minute after which I will be absolutely fine; another attack where the anxiety
is pressing down on my chest may last an hour and half, and may take me ages to recover from. Each
one is different, and each one is affected by how much is going on, not only in myself, but also in my
surroundings at that point.

So how do I manage these attacks when they come on? For me, the key is to distract myself from the
unwelcome thoughts that are controlling my brain. For everyone this will be different. You can go and
work out, talk to friends, craft, whatever you think will make you happy at that point in time, do it. You
may have to find different things to do until your brain calms down, but don’t just give up, or those
anxious thoughts will have won.

https://gfycat.com/gifs/search/calm+down+shan


Obviously, what you decide to do to distract yourself will depend upon where you are at the time the
attack occurs, who is around you, and what time of day it is. If, for example, you’re at home and a
roommate is in, go talk to them, explain to them what’s going on, and just have a good old natter to get
your mind off things. However, if you’re on your own, and it’s still fairly light out, go outside, go for a
walk and surround yourself in nature. Stick in your headphones and listen to your favorite album or
artist (my particular favourite is anything from Disney or the musical theatre universe). But the worst
thing you can do it stay inside, on your own, with your own thoughts. Trust me, I’ve done it, and it
really will not do you any good whatsoever. Even if you’re on your own, and you don’t feel like going
outside, call someone up and just talk to them. Anything to just distract your mind from its own thoughts.

According to a study run by the NHS 1 in 6 people experience a common mental health issue, such as
anxiety or depression, every single week, and worse still, 1 in 5 people have considered suicide at some
point during their life.


Why then do people think that you can just snap out of it when you’re having these anxious thoughts?
Why is having anxiety or depression seen as a cop out? If you saw somebody with a physical disability,
for example, someone who had lost one of their legs, would you really say that they should try harder to
grow another one? No, because that’s a completely ridiculous notion. Well when someone tells a person
with anxiety that they should just get over it and to try harder, you’re basically telling them the same
thing. Just because you can’t see the disorder or issue doesn’t means it’s not there. Just because it may
not rear its ugly head every day, doesn’t mean that those comments won’t fuel the fire as to when
another attack will come.

I have been coping with anxiety for a while now, but am by no means an expert in the matter. But I get
by. Most of the time I’m fine, but when the anxiety does come I deal with it. I talk to my friends. I knit.
I do whatever I want to make me happy. And so should you. Don’t let the anxiety win. And even worse
don’t let those who don’t understand get to you. Be strong, and know that you have a support system
around you that loves you for who you are.

https://giphy.com/gifs/keeping-up-with-the-kardashians-kris-jenner-l3JDFJncJHteKIYzm

Comments